Mary Johnson Children's Center

Finding Childcare

Mary Johnson Childcare Services

Finding Childcare

Selecting childcare is one of the most important decisions you will ever make for your child and your family. Finding childcare can sometimes be frustrating and frightening. Ginny Sinclair, the Referral Specialist at Mary Johnson Childcare Services can help families, at no cost, learn about the childcare options that are available in the Addison County community. Mary Johnson Childcare Services makes referrals to family home childcare providers and licensed childcare centers. Mary Johnson Childcare Services is accredited by National Association of Childcare Resource and Referral Agencies, Quality Assurance Program.

We can give you what you need to begin your search. Types of childcare available are registered family childcare homes and licensed centers. The Referral Specialist will work with you through this process. Information and materials will also be provided about finding and choosing a quality childcare program.  There is also a quick-reference "Questions to Ask" section below.

To reach the Referral Specialist, Ginny Sinclair, at Mary Johnson Childcare Services, please call (802) 388-4304 or e-mail

To submit an on-line request for help in finding a childcare program, go to the “Applications“ page of this website.

Further information is available from the State of Vermont at: Once you arrive at the web site click on Find a Provider for a list of providers by region.

If you are searching for childcare outside of Addison County, the following agencies will be able to help:

Vermont Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies

Bennington County Child Care Association
1522 East Road
Bennington, VT. 05201
Serving Bennington County

Child Care Project
17 1/2 Lebanon Street, Suite 2
Hanover, NH 03755
Serving Orange and north Windsor Counties

Child Care Resource
181 Commerce Street
Williston, Vt. 05495
802-863-3367 or 800-339-3367
Serving Chittenden County

The Family Center
75 Fairfield Street
St. Albans, Vt. 05478
802-524-6574 or 800-339-3367
Serving Franklin and Grand Isle Counties

Lamoille Family Center
480 Cadys Falls Road
Morrisville, Vt. 05661
Serving Lamoille County

NEKCA/Parent Child Center
10 Main Street
P.O. Box 346
Newport, Vermont 05855
Serving Orleans and north Essex Counties

Vermont Achievement Center
88 Park Street
P.O. Box 6283
Rutland, VT. 05702-6283
Serving Rutland County

Springfield Area Parent Child Center
2 Main Street
No. Springfield, VT. 05150
Serving south Windsor and north Windham Counties

The Family Center of Washington County
383 Sherwood Drive
Montpelier, VT 05602
Serving Washington County

1107 Main Street, Suite 102
St. Johnsbury, Vt. 05819
Serving Caledonia and South Essex Counties

Windham Child Care Association
130 Birge Street #11
Brattleboro, Vt. 05301 802-254-5332
Serving Windham County except for northern most towns.

QUESTIONS TO ASK   When Looking for Child Care

Following are a few questions to ask when looking for suitable child care for your child. There may be other areas of information that are important to you, so use these questions as a guideline. You can expand on the questions to cover information that is pertinent to your family.

Quick Check Phone Questions:

  • Do you have a suitable space for my child?
  • Where are you located?
  • What do you charge for child care?
  • What is your daily routine?
  • Do you serve meals?
  • How long have you been caring for children? Education?
  • Do the children watch TV?
  • Is your home/center smoke free?

What to observe when visiting:

  • Are the children engaged, busy and happy?
  • Is there a wide variety of clean, appropriate and safe toys available:
    books, dress-ups, playdoh, dolls, blocks, paper, markers, crayons, etc. 
         -  Are these materials accessible to the children?
  • Is the environment clean, safe and cheerful?
  • Are teachers interacting with children in a supportive, encouraging and interested manner?
  • Is outdoor equipment sturdy, safe and well-anchored to a safe surface?
  • Does a teacher sit and interact with children during meals and snacks?
  • Are children supervised at all times?

If you would like more information, pamphlets are available in our office.